Sunday, December 23, 2007

Things to know when arriving in Ukraine

There are some things we've learned along that way that weren't specifically told to us by our agency that are very important to know for those of you waiting to travel.

The first thing is, when your plane is close to landing, the flight attendants will go around passing out a piece of paper. I was expecting this because of reading another blog, but even when I took the paper, it was still confusing. The Cyrillic lettering stands out the most, but if you take the time and look closely, there is English written underneath in smaller lettering. The form is an Immigration form, but spells the word, 'Immigracion' I'm assuming this is just a mis-spelling. I was confused since immigration to me means that you are wanting to actually immigrate to this country. That's not what it means. It is a form for anyone who is not a Ukrainian. The form has two identical sides except one say 'Arrival' and the other says 'Departure'. Fill out both sides, even though it asks for the same exact information. Some of the wording is not exactly how we are used to seeing forms worded. When you arrive at the airport, you will have to show your passport and this form to someone at 'Passport Control." They will tear the form in half and keep the 'Departure' side. You are to keep the arrival side in your passport at ALL TIMES. Plus, keep your passport on you at all times just in case you may be asked for it. This is a very, very important thing to remember. OUr facilitator did tell us this, after he took us to our apartment. We haven't been asked for our passport and we walk everywhere except the orphanage. For those who may worry about it.

We did fill out the Customs Declaration form also, each one of us separately, even though I had less than $3000 worth of valuables and cash. The officer said I didn't even have to fill mine out. He was very nice. No searches, like I've heard other people tell of. The form only asks for cash and valuables. There are also some very specific questions. It doesn't even ask about prescriptions, like I had heard. I don't have the form with me or I would quote it. We did put most of our things on one form since we had taken a cart and put our luggage on it. The Borispol airport doesn't charge for carts like JFK. Also, when you see the Customs forms, there is one table with forms in Ukrainian and one table in English. They are right next to each other.

When I have more time I'll have to tell you about our JFK experience! All this extra security can make a normal law-abiding citizen feel like a criminal!!

No comments: