Tuesday, December 4, 2007

4 Days Until We Leave!

As you'll see, I've added a recent picture of our family. And yes, I am the shortest one! lol I knew from the moment my children were born, because they were NOT small, that I would end up being the shortest one in the family. (I didn't really want my boys to be shorter than me:)

Yikes! Putting the number into print makes it seem so much shorter! We still have some of today to do things and all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, except for a few hours on Wednesday when we will be out.

We are almost packed. I have all my clothes and most extra necessary things packed. I do have lots of clothes for both girls, but since our bags are so full (and one person doesn't have theirs done yet) I think I'm going to thin out girl clothes and just take dress clothes for court and two outfits plus, pjs, under things and tights. I do have way too many clothes packed for the girls. We don't need to layer very often here where we live, so I have probably over-done it. I am so used to packing for three kids and believe in always being prepared, so I tend to over-pack. When you have your own car and a big trunk, it's usually not a problem. But, I have been reading blogs where you are hauling your luggage everywhere and running for trains. Not to mention the train cabins are small. One reason I opted for rolling luggage. We can always use a bungie cord and attach the duffles on top to lighten our carrying load.

I have been trying to measure and weigh our luggage to stay within Aerosvit's guidelines. Nataliya gave me some good advice, that both check-in pieces have to weigh no more than 35 pounds each (70 together) and the carry-on no more than 11 lbs. She said a purse doesn't count, but I have a tote bag. I hope that is acceptable. I was never able to get a straight answer from the reservation people about that. Continental on the other hand, allows much more weight and larger pieces.

The closer we are to leaving the more I realize, this is really happening! We started this process last February. It seems like it has taken sooooo long! All the people with dossiers submitted the week before ours are there, right now! I keep checking blogs and reading about homesickness and all. I remember being homesick after my husband and I married. For our honeymoon, we drove further west than I had ever been in my whole life! He was so excited he just wanted to go further and further. I just wanted to tell him to turn back toward home. I don't think I ever mentioned that to him. After that, we just took our family with us, so it was no big deal:)

In reading all the blogs on homesickness, saying goodbye and being away from children, it reminded me of being in the hospital for 2 or 3 days while a child was born and afterwards. An adoption is similar, but oh so very much longer. You just have more time to think about being away.

This trip though, we'll have many firsts. Our first adoption, our first trip out of the country, our first time to even have a passport, our first Christmas away from our home and children. There are some good firsts, though. Our first Christmas with our new daughters, our first time on a train, our first experience meeting all their friends at the orphanage, getting to meet and love on all the kids there.

Maybe if I anticipate the feelings now, they won't hit me like a ton of bricks over there, far away from home.

No comments: