Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Post From Papa

It is hard for me to take what I feel and put it in print. We visit the orphanage every day. T and K talk and play. I do not relate well with T. Yesterday and today T gave me a hug. That is progress.
The weather is nice. I sit outside and talk and smile at the kids. My new friend's name starts with a T also, so I will call her TF. As June said there is another couple that came today to adopt a teenage girl. TF had a little break down and cried. She can speek some English and I got her to tell me that she misses her mother. I suppose her seeing T and L getting adoptive families is hard for her. After the tears, she told me that maybe a coke from the little store nearby would help. The orphanage is more in the country and the walk to the store is relaxing. There are cherry trees along the road with cherries turning red. Something I have never seen. It is beautiful to me.
Today the kids were filling a swimming pool. They brought out the fire hose to fill the pool. Now I know why there is no water in the apartment. I watched them drink that dirty water comming out of the hose and thought what it would do to me.

If I could stop time and stay here for twenty years, I think I would. Like the movie "Harvey". I could stay for a while and return without a second of time passing. But reality is only a phone call away. My sons were out and had car trouble with the family car. I was proud of my sons repairing the car and taking care of their dad from half a world away. Ha-rah-shoh sim-yah.

I have said that I feel closer to God when I am here. This second trip makes me realize that He is always there, I just need His strength more when I am here.

Papa Dennis

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hurray on the hugs from T! I know some of the boys teased Yarek relentlessly when I was there, I'm sure the girls are no different.

Natalie

The McEacherns said...

Not only are the cherries beautiful, they are YUMMY! Both of our trips to Ukraine have been in May/June when the cherries and berries are ripe. Enjoy!