Wednesday, November 28, 2007

SDA Appointment - Two Weeks from Today!

We will be out of town and away from the internet until Monday, so I wanted to post this since it is only relevant today.

In two weeks from today, we will be sitting in the famous SDA building, going through the same thing many who have gone before us have gone through. We will be talking to (or through) an English Translator who works for the SDA. Possibly, sitting on that couch that is lower than the chairs the SDA people sit on. (Can you tell I love details?:) I love reading about these meetings on other blogs, so that hopefully we will be prepared for it. But nothing probably prepares you except actually experiencing it for yourself.

In eleven days, we will be sitting on a plane headed for New York. I've never been to New York. I've never even flown on a plane. I know all you 'jetsetters' out there can hardly believe it, but I have lived my whole life without flying on a plane. My husband has flown a short distance, probably a couple of hours. It's just enough for him to know how sick he might get. He once went out on a deep sea fishing boat, though he didn't do much fishing, so he already knows what to expect or at least thinks he does. The doctor has given him those patches you put behind your ear, but they last for 72 hours and I don't want to be groggy the day of our appointment. So maybe it's good I don't know how sick I might get. Just one more thing to think about!

We always drive on our vacations. That has been part of the fun for us. Seeing the scenery out the window. Stopping at roadside parks and any museum or whatever we run across. We've been to several states surrounding TX, just not very far north. New York will be an experience, though we won't see anything but the airport.

After our relatively short flight (3 hours 41 minutes) to New York, we will then board Aerosvit to Kiev. This is a non-stop, overnight flight. It's hard for me to figure exactly how long this flight is because of all the time changes. New York is one hour ahead of us and Kiev is eight hours. I think I've figured it is around 12 hours.

Anyway, that's an update for the next few days. Now, back to the packing! :0

4 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

It's amazing how fast the time goes. I'll be following your journey and hope that your appointment goes well.

Enjoy the flights and try to sleep if you can.

Tami said...

Two weeks!!! Isn't it amazing? And somehow it seems to fly by! You're right, it is better if you don't know how you'll handle the flight...but if there is any worry you could also try Dramamine...there is a non-drowsy version that Meshack has taken before and it worked pretty well.

Nataliya said...

Don't worry, you'll be fine! The actual flight is about 10 hours, even a couple of minutes less (it should be written in your flight confirmation). Make sure your carry-on is not more than 5kg (11 lb), they are very strict about it. Your purse or laptop bag doesn't count. The luggage per person is 32kg (about 70 lbs), they weigh both pieces together. They give out a little pillow and a blanket, but I was very happy with my own pillow.

junglemama said...

Two weeks! Wow!

Hate to burst your bubble, but JFK is nothing to write home about. But I'm positive that Kiev is!