Friday, November 23, 2007

An Amazing Number of Ukraine Adoptions

I've just spent a couple of hours visiting the adoption blogs I frequent and have found several blogs with links of other blogs. I finally had some time to investigate some of these other links, because I just can't get enough reading on this subject. Maybe it's because we are leaving in TWO WEEKS!!

Ukraine has been somewhat shut-down for a good part of 2006 and I think in 2005 also. We participated in a hosting program last January, 2007 and didn't realize, at the time, that adoptions had just started again a few months prior. We learned of this weeks later after I started researching Ukraine adoptions. Apparently, we met the girls we are going to adopt at just the right time.(God's time?:) Though it did seem to us then, like we had waited a very long time.

I know I've been very vague in my blog about who we are and who our intended adopted girls are, but I've heard that some people don't think it's a good idea to tell who you are before an adoption is official. In fact, I've been told NOT to reveal our true identity.

I would love to post pictures of my family, but I'm going to wait. I assure you that we are really a waiting adoptive family with an SDA appointment of December 12, which is in a little over two weeks. We requested a referral for two girls over ten that we met while they were on a trip to experience American Culture. We were able to be with one little girl constantly, since she stayed in our home and with the other little girl almost as much.

I did make my blog restricted for a short while, because I wanted to post pictures and not remain anonymous, but then I realized that I enjoyed the blogs I frequent so much that it would be better just to remain anonymous for now. Especially since several of the authors of the blogs I frequent also read mine. The truth is, I soak up any and everything I read about concerning what the adoption process is like and really, really appreciate what others post. So, I decided to try and do the same. We will try our best to upload the general pictures of the area and our apartment once we are in country, if we are able. We aren't taking a computer, so we may have to wait until we get home. I've heard that the computers in internet cafes can be slow plus the keyboard is in Cyrillic letters! We've learned some Russian and can sound out Russian words somewhat, but it's another thing to think in English and try to type on a Cyrillic keyboard. I'm not that proficient.

8 comments:

Tami said...

I am glad that you have maded your blog unrestricted. While I may not know your name or your face, we can share our experiences. It helps make this process we're about to go through so much easier...and those that come after us can learn as well.

adoptedthree said...

Blogs and websites are so important for PAPs to understand the process.
In 2000 when we first adopted, there were very very few websites (now blogs) and I devoured everyone I found. They put everything in better perspective and to this day those first websites are still my favorite, as they opened the doors to so many to follow.
Thanks for letting us join your journey!!

Anonymous said...

We know that our God is bigger then a lost file. We are believing for your miracle. I hope we meet in the Ukraine. God bless your journey and the children you bring home. Thanks for contacting me.
Fran

Steve and Gail said...

Hope to meet you in Ukraine. We leave in 9 days and have about 3 weeks of things to do before we go. I guess the kids will learn quickly that in some homes, like ours, very seldom is everything done at any given time. The grandkids were in town for the weekend, so some of the getting ready was on hold for a couple of days.

God bless and have a safe trip.

junglemama said...

Thanks for choosing to share with us. :)

Kathy and Matt said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to let you know we'll be following your journey in Ukraine and will add you to our prayer list. We travel in January and can't imagine getting ready to go as quickly as you have.
You will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Nataliya said...

I'm so glad to see that you opened your blog again - it means a lot to us other PAPs to be able to read about other experiences. Thank you for the comments on my blog - all these comments are my lifeline in Ukraine :)

Leslie said...

Sooo glad to be able to follow you on the journey! We are praying for you!