Friday, September 18, 2009

No More Walls

I have known Tamara for almost three years now. We hosted her twice and have spent time with her at the orphanage. She has never let me be close to her. I have gotten a lot of rejection and had decided to just accept her as she is. Well, last Saturday the girls went to a birthday party for one of the adoptive children in Houston here. On the way home Toma decided to have one of her pity parties. We have always accepted it, but she has been one of the family for almost two months now, so June did what a mother usually does, and fussed at her. When I got home, Toma described what had happened. It was cute. I believe June disciplining her made her feel more a part of the family. It seems to have broken down the last wall separating Toma and her Papa. She has been more a part of the family and more receptive to her Papa. This is a Toma I have never met. We have had some concerns about attachment issues, but it seems things are going better. I have a friend who died several years ago. When you would ask him how he was doing, his reply was always, "Better and better".

Today June visited with a family who is leaving for Ukraine soon. She gave them the phone we used on our trip. There are so many memories and friends that come to mind. We called Ukraine the other morning and talked to a dear friend we made while there, Brother Vacili. In a way I wish we were going back. There isn't a day that passes that I don't think of the people there.

No comments: