Sunday, July 26, 2009

Doma

It was a traumatic experience flying home from Ukraine. Delta and JFK airport in New York tried to kill us. Today I woke to find that little has changed. It will take a while to recover from seven weeks in Ukraine. We have the experience of living in a foreign country and becoming comfortable with the way of life there. I did enjoy living in that smaller town where almost everyone is your equal. Most people do not own a car and are comfortable riding the very reliable bus system. That is what we did most of the time. We joined the foot traffic on the sidewalks or jumped on one of the buses. In the summer there are outdoor bars everywhere. That is the thing you notice first. So many people are carrying beer everywhere you go, even if it is nine in the morning. I did see some abuse, but we did live behind one of the local outdoor bars.

I met a Brother I did not know I had. He worked security where we stayed. Our apartment was part of a larger store, loading dock, disco, restaurant, and beer tent/bar. He invited us to tea at his house and we went to church with him and his family. I will miss my friend, Vacili.

Today is quiet here. Someone wants to ride bicycles, but I have to recover from the trip. I can tell she is trying. I waited until we were completely through customs in New York before I told her firmly that she doesn't tell me, "I don't want to." That was her favorite thing to say to me. I wasn't mean and she understood, but I did get the LOOK that teenage girls are good at. I think she is beginning to understand that we do care about her. It seems the less I try, the closer she lets herself get to her new dad.

Papa Dennis

2 comments:

Dave Baldacchino said...

Welcome home guys!! We're happy to hear you're back and settling in once again. I know what you mean about "home sweet home". Weird though because I do miss the character and outdoors lifestyle in Ukraine. Yep, Beer is more popular than water!

Alan said...

Welcome home and congratulations on you adoptions!