Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 3 at Home

It is absolutely weird how much Tamara and June are alike. They look alike and that is only the beginning. I don't want to get in trouble, so I will stop there. I took the girls to the community pool yesterday. That is the most fun thing in the world and a must for a new sister. I tried to enjoy the moment and have been trying to become an American again. You try to focus on the here and now, but find your thoughts wandering to where you were and who you left behind. Our friend Rhonda is still in S-town and has had a hard time with her adoption.
I learned today that the fifteen year old girl I befriended has had a disturbing past. When I offered my phone that day to call her mother, I wondered why she didn't want to. When my dear friend was younger, her mother prostituted her to boyfriends. One thing that made me feel better about TA was that she had a mother. I left thinking TA and her brother would age out of the system and live with mama. I don't think that she and her younger brother have much of a chance for adoption. The other girls consider her mean and have nothing to do with her. That is the reason she became my friend. The last day we visited the orphanage, I gave her self addressed, stamped envelopes, so she could write us. I hope she knows there is someone who cares.
Papa Dennis

2 comments:

Dunham Family said...

I have not been posting, but have been following your journey. I am so glad you are home. Now comes adjustment time! Praise be to God who will sustain you and strengthen! Yeah!!!!

Unknown said...

My very dear friends June and Dennis, I miss seeing you all. We will have to get together soon. I can't believe our trip is over and we are writing about it as a memory now. Yes, Dennis it is very hard to not think about the kids we left behind. I would love to find Zhenya and a couple of the others homes. Glad to see Tamara is settling in and happy. We are doing well Lena has a down moment every now and then and I think it is the language. She is very social and feels left out at times when she can't communicate. Love you Rhonda