Sunday, June 15, 2008

Good Nutrition

This is a subject I haven't seen discussed on adoption blogs. How much good nutrition affects our adopted children (and others). Yes, people talk about how much their child grows once home, but I've noticed even more. It may be because I was a hairdresser in my pre-stay at home days, but I've really noticed a big difference in Karina's hair. When we were in Ukraine, she wanted to put her hair up, mostly in pigtails. (I don't know what it is with Ukraine orphans and pigtails! lol) Well, I talked her into letting me braid her hair. It looked much better than plain pigtails. At that time, her hair was thin and sparse and almost fuzzy behind her ears, but now, what a difference. Her hair is thick. I never thought her hair would be. It helps a little that I've cut her hair twice since we've been home, but the fuzzy, sparse hair behind the ears is history. This may not be common knowledge, but I learned that when the body is lacking nutrients, it takes them from the hair. The hair needs every nutrient and amino acid that the body needs. Oh, the things we do to our hair!

5 comments:

Tami said...

Our beautician just mentioned the same thing to us the last time we were there with Maddie. She mentioned that Maddie's hair is getting thicker, more healthy. I just wish it would show up in her growth! :)

Connie said...

I hope I don't end up appearing to be a blog 'stalker' but here I am to comment again! :-)

You are so right! We noticed huge improvement in their hair within 3-6 months--thicker, softer, shiny, etc. We've had lots of opportunities to play "beauty salon"!! Wish I was a 'professional' like you! :-)

Leslie said...

We've seen this with Kristina too. Her hair, nails, and skin are visibly different since she has a better balenced diet!

Kathy and Matt said...

Like all the others, we've also seen a difference in Leeza's hair. We just hit the 4 months home mark and her hair is definitely thicker and healthier looking.

Annie said...

I noticed an ENORMOUS difference in Anastasia's hair. When she arrived her hair was more like fluff....very soft, fine, like down. And within only a couple of months it became real "hair", stronger, shinier. It lost the curl though, which made me sad!

Another stalker (first time, though)