Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Most Wanted Gift

During our waiting time for the birth certificate, we deliberated on what to bring back as gifts for the children. We tried to find things that we could buy a large quantity of, but also fairly inexpensive. I bought necklaces for special girl friends and found some Christmas lip gloss marked way down. We bought a few regular size frisbees for older boys and little frisbees for the small boys plus cars which are always a hit. When we arrived here in region, Dad decided to find some Barbie style dolls for some of the girls we met.

We came back to visit the orphanage last Sunday and were taken into some type of visiting room with a dilapidated bed that I think someone uses. Maybe whoever is on duty during the night. We were accompanied by many children. We gave out toys to everyone who was there. We also had Russian New Testaments, that we intended for the older children or at least those who could read, but we only had about 18 of them. They were gone quickly. I turned around and noticed that there was a good sized group of young children standing by me wanting something. I gave a small frisbee to one, but he didn't want it. Neither did another child. I realized that all the children standing there had been given a toy. They didn't say anything, I guess because they knew I spoke English and they didn't understand it, but it suddenly dawned on me that they wanted a Bible. Out of all the toys we brought, a Bible was the most wanted gift!

5 comments:

Caroline said...

And it was the one thing you would have *loved* to bring more of if you had realized they would be wanted like this! Praise God this is an easy option there now--no smuggling Bibles. This is an excellent idea though for other parents who are traveling. Russian New Testaments!!
(And frisbees--I really like the frisbees. LOL)

Stephanee&Zach said...

Can you tell me where I can get a Russian or Ukrainian Bible? I would love to send some to the girl that we hosted and to her sister. That is a beautiful story of their God-given desire for Bibles!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Stephanee, We ordered them online from the International Bible Society. I think it's www.ibsdirect.com or do an online search. They have children's Bible story books and New Testaments in Russian. I don't believe they have Ukrainian. Russian is spoken here in our daughter's region.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Yes, Caroline, we would have brought more had we known how much they wanted them. We may mail some to the orphanage later.

ArtworkByRuth said...

How amazing! We are ordering a bilingual Bible for our girl, but hadn't thought to bring some with us, great idea! Thanks for sharing!