Sunday, July 15, 2007

Why adopt?

My husband and I both grew up with adopted family members. I had two cousins who were biological sisters. They were each adopted by two different aunts, who were sisters. My husband's dad raised his step-daughter and step-son just like his own children, but never officially adopted them. They are my husband's half-brother and sister officially, but that is not mentioned. They are his brother and sister.

We also have many friends who have adopted from several different countries as well as domestically. The countries are Russia, Kazhakstan, Romania and China. Several from each country. None from Ukraine. Yet anyway. Plus we have several friends who have adopted domestically. Well, with all the great adopted children we knew, why not adopt?

It was initially my husband who brought this adoption idea up. We had three children and I had always wanted more, but it never happened. When our children were younger, three was enough for him. Now all of a sudden he's changed his mind! I guess this was God's way of giving me those children I had always wanted, by changing my husband's mind. It did take me a while to agree to adopt, I don't know why. Now I wish it hadn't taken me so long, but God knows that I need to think about things for a while. He gives me that time and then he'll say, "Okay, now it's time!"

No comments: