Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ONE YEAR HOME!

Today marks Karina's one year anniversary in America. We weren't home the whole day. We flew the good portion of it. If I remember right, we arrived at JFK around 4pm or so. We spent a few hours in the Atlanta airport where Karina slept a good bit. We landed in our home airport between 10:30 and 10:45pm, exhausted. At least I was. I can't sleep anywhere there is noise and stirring.
Karina has come a long way since that time. She knew very little English and probably nothing about having parents or siblings. I still don't know how much she still doesn't know about that, but she seems to be settled in. She has made a complete transformation from where she was a year ago. We know several Russian and Ukrainian adoptees and it amazes me how they totally change over time. How they can totally assimilate into American culture.

I never thought back then, that we would be thinking of going back already!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Congratulations! One year is such a beautiful milestone...we are right behind you. You are so right about how much they change and adapt to their new life it truly is amazing!
Prayers for your next adventure back to get T. So happy for all of you.

Dave Baldacchino said...

Happy Anniversary to all! Stories such as yours make is easier for other families to take the plunge and adopt. Here's to many more years!

S and T said...

Congratulations! We are blessed to have these amazing children. I can't believe we have been home almost one year!

Kimbell and Mark said...

thanks for your post. I know there will be a time when I long for boring days with nothing to do - but right now I'd love a busy day filled with medical appointments, visa appointments, calls to airlines to schedule flights.... but right now I'll settle for walking across the street for water and laundry detergent! :)